Reverse Engineering Team
Unregistered, You must accept the Forum Rules below to be able to use some forum functions.

Read forum rules below...

1. All posts must be written in English.
2. Don't spam/abuse any other member via E-mail or Private Messages.
3. Have phun!

For breaking above rules you may be warned/banned appropriately!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Reverse Engineering Team
Unregistered, You must accept the Forum Rules below to be able to use some forum functions.

Read forum rules below...

1. All posts must be written in English.
2. Don't spam/abuse any other member via E-mail or Private Messages.
3. Have phun!

For breaking above rules you may be warned/banned appropriately!
Reverse Engineering Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dongle Emulation over RDP

3 posters

Go down

Dongle Emulation over RDP Empty Dongle Emulation over RDP

Post by rfunaki Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm having issues with getting some security dongles to work correctly over remote desktop connections, which has led me on the path to dongle emulation.

We currently have a multi-server setup using Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Session Hosts, with low end PCs being utilized as thin clients. Redirecting the USB dongle from thin client to server for the HASP dongle we have does not work, program does not detect it. However, when redirected, dongle does show up in device manager correctly. I did find a reference to a HASP developer document stating that when implementing the dongle into your application, you have to specifically set an API flag for remote use to be allowed, this may be the issue. I have tried several USB over IP software packages also (outside of the built in support on the RDP client), with no success.
I also have a Hardlock E-Y-E parallel port dongle with the same issue.

Of the two software packages we are trying to run with these dongles, 1 is no longer supported or developed (For a number of years), so I have no viable alternatives from the software developer. The other application is still in development (the one utilizing the usb dongle), but they do not specifically support remote desktop usage. They offered 2 alternatives, one being to switch out the dongle with a new version that acts more like a USB disk drive (Should be easier to redirect, although they do not test case this, so they did not guarantee it) - however, the newer types of dongles do not support the software version we have, so we would have to pay nearly $1k for an untested solution. The other solution would be a license key that is tied to the OS instance (Which I'm not keen on, as we wouldn't be able to transfer it to another virtual machine or hardware after it is activated)
I have successfully emulated the 2 dongles on physical machines without too much issue. However, emulation for some reason does not work over remote desktop/inside a VM (same issue as redirecting the physical dongles via the remoting client, shows up in device manager, but software does not detect it). I initially thought it was Hyper-V (the hypervisor our session hosts are virtualized within) that was causing the issue, as perhaps USB drivers/interfacing is different within this hypervisor. However, I emulated the dongles on an actual physical computer, and then attempted to remote into that physical instance, and it still does not work (even though it works if I were to use that computer locally).
Does anyone have any suggestions on a solution? I am currently trying to locate good logging software so I can get the communication between the dongles and the virtual machine, and attempt to see what is different when used locally. Any suggestions on specific software that might do that? I also have found an old version of VUSBBUS's source code to work from, to perhaps hobble together a solution after I determine what operates differently between a physical instance, and an instance accessed remotely.
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have tried various dongle emulators over remote desktop, and none of them worked (Multikey, VUSBBUS, and Hasp2007 HL Emulator)

rfunaki

Back to top Go down

Dongle Emulation over RDP Empty Re: Dongle Emulation over RDP

Post by prenumele Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am

I used this succesfully [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

prenumele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lomex Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm

FORGET IT. No Emulator works with those Networks tools. They work ONLY with REAL dongles. Tried them all also once.

Lomex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down